After xrays on Sept. 27, the vet told Troy she had bone cancer and was in a lot of pain. (Lesson one from dogs: Always cheerful, ignoring aches and pains.) The news knocked our breath out. We knew we couldn't let her be in pain, but we knew we were not ready to say good-bye. She's given us so much joy, how could we let her be in pain any longer. We couldn't let the inside of the vet's office be her last day so we picked her up and took her to a park....her favorite place. She stood on all fours for the first few minutes and then just enjoyed the soft grass for the rest of the time.
Thursday, October 7, 2010
I'm Ready
I'm ready to share our last day with Aspen. Not that you need to see it, but because I want to archive it here so I will never forget it. For me...for us.
After xrays on Sept. 27, the vet told Troy she had bone cancer and was in a lot of pain. (Lesson one from dogs: Always cheerful, ignoring aches and pains.) The news knocked our breath out. We knew we couldn't let her be in pain, but we knew we were not ready to say good-bye. She's given us so much joy, how could we let her be in pain any longer. We couldn't let the inside of the vet's office be her last day so we picked her up and took her to a park....her favorite place. She stood on all fours for the first few minutes and then just enjoyed the soft grass for the rest of the time.
The kids each gave her a bone (which she couldn't eat, but was grateful for) and gave her hugs and told her they loved her.
Then Troy had his moment with her.

And then I laid beside her, snuggling her like I always do at home...because I was her mom. I rubbed her in all her favorite spots and told her that she was the best dog who showed the most unconditional love to our family. I told her that she brought joy to so many other people...not just us. I told her that kids overcame their fear of dogs with her because she is that wonderful. That our home was always full and safe and happy because of her. That I will never forget her quirky dog smile and sideways run. That I will miss her head on my lap when I watch tv late at night. That I will think of her everytime I pour out the milk at the end of my cereal bowl instead of letting her have it. That when it thunders, I will look for her beside my bed shaking and panting. That I appreciate that she was my little shadow around the house...in the bathroom, basement, bedroom, everywhere (even when it took her so much longer to get around.) Unconditional...that's what she is. Then I told her she now has an eternity of swimming, chasing balls and frisbees, chewing on sticks and chasing heavenly UPS trucks with treats.
After xrays on Sept. 27, the vet told Troy she had bone cancer and was in a lot of pain. (Lesson one from dogs: Always cheerful, ignoring aches and pains.) The news knocked our breath out. We knew we couldn't let her be in pain, but we knew we were not ready to say good-bye. She's given us so much joy, how could we let her be in pain any longer. We couldn't let the inside of the vet's office be her last day so we picked her up and took her to a park....her favorite place. She stood on all fours for the first few minutes and then just enjoyed the soft grass for the rest of the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brit - that is a truly beautiful post. I've got tears in my eyes as I remember my sweet pets that have gone on. I love that you took her to the park. That was such a special idea. I'm sending virtual hugs to you. Take care, friend!
ReplyDeleteOh my I bawled as i read this!! We will all miss you Aspen!!
ReplyDeleteSweet, sweet Aspen. If ever I get a dog, I want it to be just....like...her.
ReplyDeleteEveryone who met Aspen knew she was part dog/part angel, but you failed to mention how lucky Aspen was to have you guys for a family! What a touching tribute, Britt. Godspeed, Aspen.
ReplyDelete